Thanksgiving Night Fire Damages Norfolk Home

NORFOLK - A fire that was reported just before 9 o’clock Thursday night caused about $10,000 damage to a Norfolk home. Norfolk Fire Inspector Dan Nelson says fire crews were called at 8:53 to the home owned by Manuel Flores at 1906 South 1st Street. Nelson says moderate smoke was found in the attic space, where it is believed the fire started. He says the fire was electrical in nature. Nelson says 23 firefighters and four rigs spent about 15 minutes getting the fire under control, and another hour overhauling the structure. Damage to the structure is estimated at $10,000, with another $1,000 damage to the contents. The Norfolk Police Division, Black Hills Energy and Nebraska Public Power District assisted at the scene. The Norfolk Fire Division reminds all citizens to check smoke detectors to make sure they are functioning correctly. The lifespan of a smoke detector is about 10 years, so older models may need to be replaced. And – when winter weather arrives – residents are also urged to keep snow away from fire hydrants.